I was nominated for the Liebster Award by Caroline from Shrinking Single and Sharee from Savory Spice Rack. Thank you so much for nominating me ladies! I’m a big fan of Caroline’s blog and stop by there very often for recipe inspiration and for Caroline’s lovely stories. I’m new to Sharee’s blog, but I look forward to reading more and sifting through her lovely recipes.
The Liebster Award is an online award that is passed on kind of like the pen pal chain letters of my childhood. The Liebster award is given out to bloggers, by other bloggers, so it’s a great way to discover new blogs and to pass on your appreciation to your favourite bloggers. Apparently the word liebster is German and it basically means sweetheart…naw!
The Liebster Award is an award being passed around the blogosphere to up and coming bloggers with less than 1000 followers. The rules are:
- Acknowledge and thank the blog who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog.
- Post the award image on your blog.
- Answer the 11 questions asked by the person who nominated you.
- List 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 5-11 blogs with under 1000 followers to receive the award.
- Let the bloggers know that you nominated them.
- Give them 11 questions to answer.
Caroline and Sharee asked me a mix of questions, with some doubled up, hence there are more than 11 :)
What is your favourite recipe to make?
A Vietnamese style noodle bowl like my Grilled Pork Noodle Bowl aka Bún chả. This is one of my favourite things to eat, so that certainly adds to the excitement of making it. But I also love making it because of all the simple elements that you make separately and then put together to create this amazingly sweet, sour, salty combination of flavours with an incredible mix of crunchy and soft textures.
Where would you like your next holiday to be?
We are in serious saving mode, so I don’t expect any holidays soon, but I’ve always wanted to go to New Zealand for a holiday. I’m definitely the kind of person that seeks out a cooler weather climate for holidays.
What camera do you use to take your photos?
I’m still in ‘auto’ mode on my Canon EOS 700D. I really want to learn how to use it to its potential this year – see my 2015 ambitions below.
Do you have a particular set up in your home for photos?
A few months ago, Key got me some studio lights which I need to properly play around with so that I can look at taking some photos at night. Otherwise, it’s daylight photos in a few spots in my lounge room that filter the light nicely. Either on our coffee table, entertainment unit (which both also provide a lovely back drop) or on the floor, in front of our large glass back door.
What do you love most about blogging?
I genuinely do love sharing my recipes, but I also love meeting new, like-minded, friends.
What do you like least about blogging?
That is takes me so much time to make a post that I am pleased with. I started my blog while I was not working and living in Singapore. I spent a lot of time on it and it was essentially like a (non-paying) full time job. We have been back in Canberra for almost a year now and after going back to work full time, I don’t like that I don’t get enough time to blog much anymore. I’m trying to work on that this year though – again see my blog ambitions below haha.
If you had an unexpected free day what would you do?
Well given what I just said above, the answer should probably be: blog. But the truth is, I relish a free day and I consider myself to excel at them :) My free day would either involve a good book (you know – one that you just can’t put down) or a movie / TV series binge marathon. But in both cases, I would be extremely lazy and my butt would rarely move from my much loved couch haha.
What makes you laugh out loud / What makes you smile the most?
This has to be three people. The three people that make me smile and laugh the most in the whole world are my partner Key, my sister who I call Sissa and my brother who I refer to as Bro. Key is the only person that knows knows how to calm me down and make me smile when I’m wound up and tense (a common occurrence) My Sissa and I always know what each other are thinking and she is absolutely hilarious and Bro is so quick and smart with his one liners that he is easily one of the funniest people that I know.
What is your favourite wine?
I do love a good NZ, Marlborough region Sauvignon Blanc, but I’ve also recently fallen in love with the Nick O’Leary rieslings. It’s a local wine too which is a bonus!
If you had a super power what would it be?
When I was younger, I’d always say that I wished I could read people’s minds. As I’ve grown up though, I don’t think that would actually be all that nice sometimes.
What famous person would you like to meet one day?
Jamie Oliver. I know it’s cliched, but he is such an inspiration to me and yes, I may have cried when he was on Masterchef.
Who inspires you the most?
See above, but mostly my mum and dad, aka Faja. Mum is a brilliant cook and even though, when I was younger, I’d have a go at her for adding too much salt and butter to her cooking, I now realise that she is an incredible natural cook that has that much sought after talent of balancing and seasoning a dish to perfection. Something that I, and many others, aspire to. My father inspires me as he is a genuinely good person that has never intentionally hurt anyone or anything. I know that sounds like a simple thing to say, but a person as good as my dad can be hard to find in this day and age. Faja would genuinely do anything for us and I know I could count on him always. I aspire to be as good a person as him.
What movie did you last see and did you enjoy it?
Nightcrawler. I really enjoyed it. Lou Bloom is a very creepy, yet strangely charismatic character.
What are your ambitions for your blog in 2015?
Well firstly I would like to learn how to use my camera properly and to get off auto mode! I would also like to post a lot more.
My 11 Random Facts About Me
I’ve kind of done this one before and it makes up some of my about page, but here a 11 new random facts about me.
- I have really obnoxious taste in music. If it is a genre of music that a lot of people find unbearable, chances are, that I will love it (think heavy metal, dub step etc)
- This ties into the above, but I like to listen to music in the car REALLY loud. I’m talking so loud, that when I pull up at traffic lights I have to turn it down so that people don’t all look around to wonder who is blaring that obnoxious music.
- I am a regular blood (actually plasma) donor.
- I can touch my nose with my tongue.
- I just turned 30!
- I’m a coordinator / administrator in the recruitment and employment consulting industry. I read a lot of resumes and job applications and typos make me cranky. When I’m reading an old post of mine and find a typo, I get super embarrassed and have to fix it ASAP.
- I have about 10 notebooks with hand written recipes and cooking ideas in them. I’d never throw them out despite having moved the majority of recipes to the blog.
- I’m cacti / succulent obsessed and I am starting to get quite a reasonable collection of them. When I find a new succulent that I don’t have, I get pretty damn excited.
- I have A LOT of kitchen equipment, dinnerware, appliances and random single sets of crockery that I call my blog props :) We have so much so that out relatively large kitchen is full, the double wardrobe that is meant to be a linen cupboard is known as the ‘appliance cupboard’ and 3 more shelving units / cupboards are stashed around the house filled with things too. In my defence, a lot of the stuff came about because both Key and I had fairly extensive collections when we moved in together and then we had doubles of a lot of kitchen things because of living overseas for a year. Don’t worry, I don’t have doubles of everything anymore, but clearly we still have a lot.
- My favourite book is Matilda by Roald Dahl.
- I absolutely hate being photographed and filmed. My face immediately contorts into an awkward expression every time a camera is pointed at me and I am very pale which does not translate well to photos. There are very few photos of myself that I actually feel ok about.
I am nominating the following blogs:
Please don’t feel obliged to participate in this. I know it can be one of those things that you either love or hate. Apologies if you either don’t fit into the under 1000 followers category, or if you have already participated in this before.
Gary from Yummy Lummy
Kristy from Tales of a Confectionist
Rebecca from Intolerant Chef
Amy from Milk Tea
Eileen from The Food Avenue
Erin from Mouthless Mutters
My questions are:
- Which post on your blog are you most proud of?
- What is your current favourite blog that you read?
- Where is the next restaurant that you would like to eat at?
- If you had an unexpected free day what would you do?
- What camera do you use to take your photos?
- What is your most disliked food?
- What is the last thing that you ate?
- Which country’s cuisine is your favourite?
- Where would you like your next holiday to be?
- What movie did you last see and did you enjoy it?
- What are your ambitions for your blog in 2015?